Today begins part 1 of a two-part series on workout motivation and finding that missing link to motivation!
If you’ve ever wished that you were more motivated to experience life at your full potential then this is for you.
Most of us set goals and work hard only to find our workout motivation fizzle out after a couple of weeks. But there are little tricks that will help you harness the power of your mind and propel you toward achieving your goal.
The Two Motivators
When you boil it down, you’re motivated by two simple things:
- To avoid pain (fear of failure)
- To gain pleasure (promise of reward)
You are naturally geared toward one of these motivators. To figure out which, think of the last time you accomplished a task and then ask yourself the following: While doing the task were you thinking about what would happen if you failed to finish, or were you thinking about what you would gain when you finished?
Take note as to which motivator works for you – fear of failure, or promise of reward.
Set Your Goal: The first step towards unstoppable workout motivation is to determine your goal. You know you’re unhappy with your body, but what exactly do you want to change? Why is it important to you?
Perhaps you can relate to one of the following goals:
- You need to lose weight for your health. Your doctor scared you straight or maybe you’ve had a recent health problem that landed you in the hospital. Your goal is to move away from the pain of sickness.
- You want to look and feel incredible. You’ve always wanted to feel vibrant and attractive. The idea of having more energy really excites you. Your goal is to move toward the pleasure and reward of a fit body.
- You’re worried about your kids. They don’t eat enough vegetables, they drink more soda pop than water and they play video games constantly. You have decided to model a healthier lifestyle and to encourage your kids to participate. Your goal is to move away from the risks of a sedentary lifestyle and to propel your kids toward a healthy future.
Come back on Thursday for the conclusion, and most importantly our tips, for how to increase your workout motivation! In the meantime, check out our member success stories at www.teamafterburn.com/testimonials or like us on facebook at www.facebook.com/teamafterburn.