Don’t Overcomplicate Things! | Diet | Team Afterburn
One of the primary reasons people can’t obtain their fitness goals is because of their diet. Can we really blame people though with the amount of marketing that is in place for bad foods? What we need is a healthy, simple meal plan to guide us.
Everywhere we look there seems to be an advertisement for a cheap, easy, yet unhealthy way to satisfy our hunger!
A healthy diet used to be simple. The food pyramid used to be our guiding light! What happened?
Robust menus and oversized servings have clouded your idea of a proper meal, and before you know it the chain restaurant, the drive thru, and the take-out line have taken priority in your dinner plans!
Fear not, though! Truly healthy eating really is possible and simple with the right meal plan.
The first step is getting our mind off of those advertisements and focused on the right kinds of food.
The advertisers don’t care about your health; they care about your wallet!
With a few exceptions here and there, most advertised foods can probably be avoided. It’s not often you see an ad for grilled white fish, steamed broccoli and a side of brown rice!
So if you are going to focus on the right diet, what does that vision look like?
A truly healthy meal contains lean protein, fresh vegetables and a modest serving of whole grains.
Just as importantly, a healthy meal does NOT contain:
- Refined sugar / corn syrup
- Fried / fatty food
- Full fat dairy food
- Processed food with chemical additives
I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but it’s worth repeating: breakfast is the most important meal of the day! What you decide to eat when you first wake up will set the tone for the rest of your meals that day. Try these healthy choices:
- Scrambled egg whites, sliced tomato and whole grain toast
- Whole grain oatmeal, sliced fruit and a protein shake
- Homemade breakfast sandwich: Multi-grain English muffin with lean turkey slices and egg
It is important to plan your lunch ahead of time in order to avoid turning to a fast food joint or vending machine. Pack your lunch the night before and carry it with you. Try these healthy options:
- Dark baby greens topped with chopped chicken breast and diced tomatoes
- Albacore tuna (packed in water), mixed with finely chopped cucumber over brown rice
- Homemade sandwich: Sprouted grain bread with lean turkey slices, lettuce, tomato and mustard
Dinner is the meal where most people splurge and eat far more calories than they should. Eating at home is the first step in reducing your dinnertime calories. Try these healthy options:
- Grilled white fish, sautéed spinach and whole wheat couscous
- Baked chicken breast, steamed broccoli and brown rice
- Try the recipe for Chicken Quinoa Stir Fry below
While a healthy diet is a huge factor in achieving your ideal weight, exercise is the other half of the equation.
Your exercise routine should be challenging and should be done on a regular basis.
At Team Afterburn we offer a meal plan as part of your membership! We know that you have more than enough in your life to think about without having to plan your own exercise routine. Leave that job to us—check out the success seen by countless members at www.teamafterburn.com/testimonials and on facebook at www.facebook.com/teamafterburn. Also check out both our Google and Facbook 5-star reviews!