Sticking to a new diet can be one of the hardest things we have to face when trying to reach our health and fitness goals! Not to worry, at Team Afterburn we are here to help you along the way, not only through meal planning assistance, but also through accountability and support. In today’s Afterburn Blog, we are going to provide some tips that will prove very important in making sure you can realistically stick with a new diet!
- Like most things, doing something “cold turkey” is really tough. The same goes for sticking with a diet. Understanding what it takes to make such a big change is going to be the first step. In other words, be realistic and understanding of the task ahead so that you aren’t in for a shock when the time comes! Be prepared to motivate yourself and resist urges and cravings.
- Don’t forget why you are doing it in the first place. Don’t lose sight of your motivation, because that motivation will be the key to sticking with it!
- Be a creature of habit. Eat generally at the same time and in the same fashion. Sit down, don’t eat on the go. Eat slowly, enjoy it.
- Be accountable! It might sound crazy to write down everything you eat, but in the end, it is a great way to keep track and not “forget” or hide bad foods! This doesn’t have to be something you do forever, but in the beginning, it will be great for creating the routine.
- Don’t overthink the foods. At Team Afterburn we will provide you with a meal plan if you want, which makes it that much easier! However, in a general sense, just eat healthy. Cut the snacks, cut the fried foods, and just focus on making sure your meals are healthy in nature.
- Wrap your mind around reality. Weight loss truly is as simple as calories in vs calories out. Sure, the science behind it is more complex than that, but when it comes to the actual numbers on the scale, it is that basic. So, do you want to snack, or do you want to reduce the number on the scale? It’s a simple choice and you can’t negotiate it. Once you accept that its one or the other, the choice becomes much easier!
- Don’t treat hunger like it’s a life or death situation. Maybe if you are stranded on an island, but not when you’re going through your normal daily routine. Prove that you can skip a snack. Drink water instead of eating (we often mistake thirst for hunger). Don’t just rush to the nearest food item and make a poor diet decision!
- Know how to recognizer a craving vs hunger. We need to eat sometimes and we want to eat at other times. Eat when you need to, not just when you want to!
- Don’t convince yourself that you “earned” a cheat meal. Throughout the normal course of our daily lives, we will get plenty of bad food anyway. It’s just bound to happen. So, let that happen on its own and don’t encourage it by justifying it! You will inevitably eat a piece of candy at work or go out for happy hour with friends or go to dinner with a date. It’s human nature. Let those one-off things be just one-off and don’t convince yourself you have earned bad food. The quicker you get in a habit, the easier the diet will be!
Remember, you don’t have to go on this journey alone! Talk to us about custom meal planning and let us help keep you accountable along the way through monthly reassessments! If you haven’t had an assessment in the last month, talk to one of our coaches to schedule yours! If you aren’t already a member, check us out online at http://www.teamafterburn.com/6-weeks-trial-membership/.