Although not everyone likes to admit it, women and, yes, even men are concerned about the shape of their butt! Since its not always the most widely talked about thing in public, we decided to let you in on a few of the best booty-building secrets here in this edition of the Afterburn Blog!
Most people typically have one of the following concerns: 1) Help! My bum is too big; 2) Help! My bum is too saggy; or 3) Help! My bum is too flat.
Each of these concerns can be addressed individually with very achievable results!
I. Help! My bum is too big.
Reducing, tightening, and shaping your butt the way you always envisioned is not as daunting of a task as people tend to think it is! Commit to the following exercises and those glutes will be in full transformation mode in no time!
Running is a wonderful way to not only melt away fat but work those butt muscles! Target the glutes with these 4 running tips:
- Make sure your chest is up and you are never slumped over!
- Focus on range-of-motion with your foot by rolling it all the way forwards onto your toes with each stride in order to engage more of your glutes.
- The more of an incline you can run on, the better!
- Uneven surfaces (like trail runs) help to force you to stabilize yourself and ask more of your legs and glutes!
Although we don’t use machines at Team Afterburn, we want to make sure you have all of the info you need for your best chance at success! So, even if you have an elliptical at home or you go to a gym that has one, we want you to know it can be your friend. Take a look at these 4 tips for the elliptical:
- Posture matters. Make sure that your back is straight and your posture is good. Don’t lean over the front of the elliptical. If your posture isn’t correct, you will not be working the glutes the right way (or potentially even at all).
- Work at an incline of more than 7 percent. Working at an upward angle will put the focus on your butt rather than your quads.
- Make sure you are digging into your heels on your strides! Your heels work up through your hamstrings and ultimately your glutes! Put the focus where we want to see results!
- Don’t hold on to the handles. If you make your core stabilize you, rather than the machine, your results will be compounded and happen much faster!
Fat-Blaster #3: Swim
Again, we don’t have a lap pool at Afterburn, but we are no strangers to the calorie-reducing benefits of swimming! Follow these 4 steps to get the most out of your time in the water:
- You’ve probably seen those Olympic swimmers exploding off the wall when they make a turn. Well, you should do that too! The explosion from your legs makes for an excellent workout in the glutes.
- Try flippers. You might not have used flippers since you were a kid, but believe it or not it will place a major emphasis on that bum.
- Use different leg kicks. Alternate between flutter and frog kicks to make sure you are focusing on the entirety of your glutes.
- Great news: jump squats can be done in the water too! If you can find some shallow, chest-level water, then you can easily perform jump squats which will be a great workout for the glutes.
- Help! My bum is too saggy.
The greatest thing about this problem is you can work on the issue from the conform of your own home.
Hyperextension with leg curl
Lie facedown on the floor with your arms extended above your head and knees together. Bend your knees and curl your heels toward your glutes, contracting your glutes. Lower your feet back toward the floor, raise your chest and shoulders up and hold for one count before returning to the start position. Do 15 repetitions.
Get into a plank position with hands directly under your shoulders and feet spaced shoulder width apart. Contract your core, lift your left leg with flexed foot, then raise your heel up in a quick motion for 15 reps. Keep your core contracted throughout the exercise and back flat. Repeat with right leg.
Lie on your right side with your elbow directly under your shoulder and legs stacked on top of each other. Bend your right knee back slightly. Lift your left leg about 6 inches into the air, then draw if forward to a 90 degree angle, keeping your foot flexed. Swing your leg back, pointing your toe and extending your lower back. Do 15 repetitions and then repeat with right leg.
III. Help! My bum is too flat.
Unlike the last set of workouts, this issue does require getting to the gym. More specifically, this is right up our alley here at Team Afterburn! The following 3 booty-building exercises will give your bum a serious shape-changing workout.
Place your feet wider than shoulder width apart, and turn toes out. Hold a dumbbell in each hand at your sides. Inhale as you squat down, keeping your back straight and tummy pulled in. Exhale as you press up through your heels and return to a standing position.
Stand with feet together and a dumbbell in each hand at your sides. Inhale as you lunge forward, keeping your lunging knee directly over your ankle. Exhale as you push off with your lunging heel, and return to the starting position.
Stand with feet shoulder width apart, a dumbbell in each hand with palms facing your thighs. Inhale as you bend forward at the hips, keeping your back flat. Lower the dumbbells down until you feel a pull in your hamstrings. Keep the dumbbells close to your legs as you exhale and straighten your legs, focusing on contracting your glutes.
Want to get your best booty as quickly as possible? Without a doubt, Team Afterburn has the answer for whatever shape you’re aiming for! Check out our member testimonials at www.teamafterburn.com/testimonials and on facebook at www.facebook.com/teamafterburn in addition to our numerous Facebook and Google 5-star reviews!